|Common Name||Alum root|
|US Patent #||PP19072|
|EU Grant #||EU25282|
|Hardiness Zone||4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9|
|Size (HT/W/FL HT)||8" / 16" / 14"|
|Finish Time||Fast (4-6 Weeks)|
|Bloom Time||May, June|
|Most Active Growing Season||Spring|
|Leaf Color||Brown, Purple, Red|
|Soil||Moderately well drained, organic soil types are best.|
|pH||5.5 - 6.5|
|Exposure||Full Sun, Part Shade|
|Special Uses||Deep South, Hummingbird Attractor, Low Water Usage, Pollinator Attractor, Winter Color|
|Nutritional Needs||100 - 150 ppm|
|Water (Greenhouse)||Dry moderately between waterings.|
|Water (Garden)||Average, better too dry than too wet when established.|
|How Different?||It differs from 'Black Beauty' in having redder foliage tones. It is a great blender in the landscape.|
|Landscape Value||Use in mixed beds, mass planting, border, edging, containers.|
|Finish Time to 4"||4 - 6 weeks|
|Grower Notes||Be careful not to bury the crowns when planting.|
Like shiny, rich leather, this ruffled, mahogany-red beauty is a great garden performer. Wonderfully dense and shiny color year-round. Foliage changes from spring purple tones to summer red tones. Fabulous in combination containers. An excellent landscape plant.
All photography is property and © of TERRA NOVA® Nurseries, and is only to be used for promotional material related to TERRA NOVA® products.
Please credit TERRA NOVA® Nurseries in the following matter:
Photo(s) courtesy of TERRA NOVA® Nurseries, Inc.
Our tags are produced using Adobe Illustrator (.ai) format.
Get the latest FREE version of Acrobat® Reader™here.
- March/April, 2014 – Horticulture – click here
- October, 2008 – Green Profit – click here
- August 1, 2008 – GMPro – click here
- June, 2008 – Michigan Gardener – click here
- May 20, 2008 – The Gardener’s Apprentice (Blog) – click here
- April 6, 2008 – Mid-Atlantic Grower – click here
- March 29, 2008 – Garden Designs (Online) – click here
- November/December, 2007 – Landscape Trades – click here